Flick Picks for the Holidays

I really excel at two things: going number two in public restrooms and crying while watching movies on the plane.  I get a lot of practice at both while traveling for work.


While you may never benefit from my first gift (especially if you're in the stall next to me), you can take advantage of all the movie watching under my belt.  Consider me like your personal food tester, except with film, ensuring you stay away from poisonous content.

Here are a list of films recently released I enjoyed and recommend for all my ladies, and men with a sensitive side. None of the movies have anything to do with the holidays, but you can hopefully find time to enjoy them over your winter breaks:



  1. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World Thought provoking, sentimental and somewhat silly take on Armageddon; with Steve CarellKeira Knightley.  I cried.  My husband said he didn't like it, but I think it was because it made him too sad (I saw a tissue in his hand).
  2. 360 A non-linear dramatic thriller crisscrosses Europe and surprised me at every step; excellent cast with Rachel WeiszJude Law and Anthony Hopkins. 
  3. Moonrise Kingdom Wes Anderson's latest, and I say, best film yet. These kids can act.
  4. Cedar Rapids Not as fantastic as the others, but definitely surprising.  Any of you corporate road warriors will howl with laughter; with Ed HelmsJohn C. Reilly and Anne Heche. 
  5. What to Expect When You're Expecting I didn't "expect" to like this film, but it was a refreshingly funny take many of our lives; with Elizabeth BanksCameron Diaz, and Matthew Morrison.
  6. People Like Us Hit pretty close to home and had me balling by the end (thanks, Kim); with Chris PineElizabeth Banks and Michelle Pfeiffer.
  7. Half the Sky An eye opening documentary every woman should watch. It's on Netflix and PBS
  8. Friends with Kids Also thought I would hate this movie, thinking it was too cliche.  I didn't even though it was.  I just love Adam Scott.  Also with Jennifer WestfeldtJon Hamm and Maya Rudolph.