Good-Hair Guilt - Ban the Brazilian Blowout

He who hath not sinned.....


I admit it.  I bought the Brazilian Blowout hair treatment.  It was on a whim.  I wanted silky-smooth, low-maintenance, friz-free hair before my big trip to Brazil-of all places (See my post on How to be Brazilian).  I didn't do my research as I literally decided while in the chair to make this 3 hour treatment happen.  I trust my stylist, don't you?




I will also gush that I have loved my blowout.  After 3 months, it's finally dissipating and I'm back to frizz.  I knew it was too good to be true (another reason I didn't do research on it post-treatment).


But now, I need to confess my sins.  The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics wants the FDA to recall the hair treatment after a hair salon worker complained about bloody noses and breathing problems after using "formaldehyde free" Brazilian Blowout. Oregon OSHA tested the product and discovered it's up to 10 percent formaldehyde. Yikes.  Formaldehyde is for dead people, not my 30-something head.


"The search for miraculously smooth hair should not cause acute pain or long-term health problems," says Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.  "Because formaldehyde is a nasty chemical linked to cancer and allergies, the governments of Canada and Ireland issued recalls of Brazilian Blowout in the last few weeks, after their own tests confirmed its presence."


Repent
It should come as no shock to you that our U.S. Food and Drug Administration has done nothing.  That's why I'm spreading the word to my lady friends encouraging you to NOT get a Brazilian Blowout.  I don't want you to get cancer, or a bloody nose. 


What can you do?
  1. Don't get a Brazilian Blowout.
  2. Investigate other keratin-smoothing treatments before you get them
  3. Please ask the FDA to issue a voluntary recall of Brazilian Blowout products by clicking here.




Read More
LA Times Article: Brazilian Blowout might be dangerous to your health