Common Sense in Hip Hop

I am a HUGE fan of hip hop and rap music. I can't help it. I went to high school in the early 90s with dudes wearing backwards Kris Kross jerseys and sporting Starter Jackers. Just to prove my love of the genre, I will rap all the words to Easy-E's Eazy-Duz-It Album next time I see you.  As that disc is incredibly raunchy and degrading towards women, reciting it is not one of my prouder moments (but damn, I'm good).

Therefore, I was very relieved when my now husband introduced me to socially conscious, female respecting, well dressed, handsome rappers Common (Sense), Mos Def and Talib Kweli.  I can sing (rap) along and not feel as if I'm insulting my kind.  I have a big crush on Common, which I could never say about Dre, Snoop or Easy. Wikipedia underscores why I love Common so much (beyond his good looks):

"Common used to maintain a vegan diet[24] and is a supporter of animal rights and PETA. He appeared in a print advertisement for PETA titled "Think Before You Eat".[25] Common is also part of the "Knowing Is Beautiful" movement, which supports HIV/AIDS awareness.[26] He is featured in the video for "Yes We Can", a song in support of the candidacy of Barack Obama, which made its debut on the internet on February 2, 2008. Common has pledged to stop using anti-gay lyrics in his music.[27][28]"



I swooned over Common's performance in Chicago earlier this month at the North Coast Music Festival, much to the annoyance of my husband. But I wanted more.

And more I got. Mos and Talib reunited on Friday as part of their former group, Black Star, to perform their self-titled album in Chicago's House of Blues, and I jumped at the chance to go hear them. I was fantasizing that their buddy, Common, would cameo and I could meet him then make-out with him but it would be OK with my husband because Common is on my 'list'.....

In my mind, my chances of a make-out session were pretty good, sinceI had little competition in the club. There were literally 20 guys for every girl (take note, my single ladies, coming to a city near you), guys who you know enjoy passionately listening to socially conscious music that respects women, guys of all colors and creeds. It was a man mecca in there.





Then, (part of) my dream came true. Common cameo-ed and it was fantastic.  See what happened.


As for fulfilling my fantasy make-out session?  A lady never tells.