SMC's Favorite Things 2011

I'm no Oprah, but I hope you will enjoy reading about some of my latest favorite things. Working from home, who else can I gab to about these delectable items if not you?  Please contribute your favorite things in the comments section.  I love learning about new products from people I trust.


Sephora Nail Polish The best thing about this "nail lacquer" is the wide brush, so you only need one stroke per nail when applying, and only one coat. I've indulged in a graige-like color called "money maker", a dark purple "hey DJ", and I walked on the wild side with a turquoise "vintage sweater." Plus, they are only $5.

Yes to Carrots Pampering Conditioner
My husband especially loves this nourishing hair conditioner.  He loves the way my hair smells after I use it, too.  You can find it at Target (when in stock), online, or even at some CVS stores.  It smells delicious, leaves my hair moisturized but not heavy.  Oh yeah, and it's made from organic carrots.  I just purchased their shampoo, but haven't tried it yet.  I also LOVE their night cream and it's very reasonably priced (~$15).

Desert Essence Cleansing Pads
These pungent pads are made with tea tree oils, witch hazel and a bunch of other great stuff.  I use them a couple nights a week to ex-foliate my face and neck.  The smell is a bit intense, but my face feels so gosh-darn clean when I'm finished.  They also do a great blemish stick as an alternative to more popular chemical filled zit creams.


Burt's Bees Deep Cleansing Cream
Filled with soap bark and chamomile, I use this face wash in the shower.  It smells very fresh and leaves a nice tingling sensation after it has been washed off.  I also use their pore refining face mask about once a month.  It is a powder you mix with either water or apple juice or yogurt.  It's very natural and not super abrasive.  I use the Burt's Bees rose water toner to clean off the excess mask.  I have their shampoo and conditioner too, but I think it's drying out my hair too much for me to recommend it.


Shu Uemura eyelash curler
I went to a make-up event at Nordstrom's and they featured Shu Uemura as "the best eyelash curler".  They were right.  Get it.  Use it.  Love it.  I once read even if you aren't wearing mascara, curl your lashes.

Arbonne Mineral Powder Foundation
I have been using this powder foundation for daily usage instead of liquid foundation.  It has SPF 15 in it and therefore it provides enough coverage in the summer.  Arbonne recently changed their formula, but I like it as it provides a shimmer to my face.  You can buy it from my friend, Leah.

Trish McEvoy Mascara
Have you ever seen me with raccoon eyes?  That's right, never.  Trish's "tube technology" mascara is hands down, the best ever.  It's semi-waterproof and when it does come off, it's not in flakey dust under my eyes, but in lovely tubes.  Downside?  It's roughly $30 and you can only get Trish products at Nieman's, select Nordstrom's and now their website.  But Nordstrom's will ship it to you for free if you make friends with your local counter.

Vita Cost
My friend Laura turned me onto this online drugstore.  It's perfect for those who don't like to deal with the crowds when shopping for necessities on the weekends - a la Whole Foods parking lot chaos.  I buy everything from vitamins to organic tampons to packaged foods, and actually most of the items on this page at Vita Cost.  Plus, they start sending you coupons after your first purchase.  You can get all the great organic / green products at a much cheaper cost because they have no physical storefront.