Fair Trade Trick or Treatin'

For my teacher friends and those who dole out candy for Halloween, I have a random thing to talk to you about - another one of my 'causes'. As Halloween is coming up, there is a Fair Trade chocolate campaign going on where you can teach your kids or teachers can educate children about it in school. It's an interesting spin on the holiday.  You can read more at Equal Exchange online. Here's more info and read below:

Why is having a Fair Trade Halloween important?

  • END poverty among cocoa farmers
  • END forced/abusive child labor in the cocoa industry
  • PROMOTE Fair Trade
  • PROTECT the environment

Although it's cheap and easy to get a bag of Mars branded candy bars for this Halloween, I am making it more difficult for myself as usual and plan on handing out vegan-friendly, Fair Trade dark chocolate with a card for adults that explains the importance of Fair Trade cocoa and highlights child labor problems in the cocoa industry.

It's too late to order the Fair Trade Halloween kits, but you can still participate by handing out this flyer. I'll let you know how many "boo's" I get.